Santa Claus is coming to town to parade through the streets on Christmas Eve!
By Mark E. Vogler
Once again, several thousand Saugus residents – from tiny tots to senior citizens – will welcome in Christmas Eve with a special visit from Santa Claus.
“The parade will start at 6pm at the Central Fire Station with a Police and Fire escort, and some cool special vehicles,” reads the official notice “To the Children of Saugus From The North Pole.” “Santa will make a very special visit to Saugus Center in front of Town Hall, between 6:30 and 7:00 to wish the townspeople a Very Merry Christmas. Santa would like to see as many children as possible, so listen for the sirens and come out and greet Santa as he passes by!”
Santa’s Christmas Eve Parade has been part of the town’s holiday tradition, which goes back three decades or more, according to Town Manager Scott C. Crabtree.
This year’s parade route has been reduced by about two hours, with several streets being eliminated. It will start a half hour later and end an hour and a half earlier. But any parent who wants their child to watch the parade and get a glimpse of Santa will still have the opportunity to meet Santa in front of Town Hall or at various locations along the route.
Santa’s route is as follows:
- 6-00-6:10 Hamilton Street, Saville Street, Elm Street
- 6:10-6:20 Walnut Street, Stillings Road, Indian Rock Road
- 6:20-6:30 Walnut Street, Central Street, Saugus Center
- 6:30-7:00 Saugus Center (Santa visits children for 30 minutes)
- 7:00-7:10 Main Street, Forest Street.
- 7:10-7:25 Lynn Fells Parkway, Main Street, Hickory Lane, Juniper Drive
- 7:25-7:35 Howard Street, Main Street, Vine Street
- 7:35-7:45 Essex Street, Mount Vernon Street, Laurel Street
- 7:45-7:50 Lincoln Avenue, Cliftondale Square
- 7:50-7:55 Bristow Street, Eastern Avenue
- 7:55-8:00 Ballard Street, Winter Street
- 8:00-8:10 Denver Street, Talbot Street, Vine Street.
- 8:10-8:15 Adams Avenue to Central Street
- 8:15-8:25 Hurd Avenue, Westland Avenue, Springdale Avenue, Stone Street
- 8:25-8:30 Central Street, Saugus Center, where Santa must leave until next year.
The Xmas Calendar
Saugus has a number of holiday events coming up, including the following:
- Saugus Boy Scout Troop 62’s Annual Christmas Tree Sale is underway in the lot on Salem Turnpike (Route 107) at the Ballard Street lights. Residents will be able to buy holiday wreaths and trees – from tabletop size to eight feet tall – Monday through Friday: 4 to 10 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., through Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve) or until the trees and wreaths are sold out. Delivery is available and all proceeds support the scouts of Troop 62.
- There are a number of holiday-themed events happening now through the end of the year at the Saugus Public Library. Coming attractions include the following:
Music with Marybeth Maes. This is a Winter Holiday Concert set for Thursday, Dec. 27, at 10:30 a.m. For children of all ages!
Winter Break Craft! Make a giant (paper) snowman! Saturday, Dec. 29, 1:30-3:30 p.m. We’ll provide materials to make a darling snowman or snowgirl! Bring anything special to make it your very own! Recommended for children ages four and up!