en English
en Englishes Spanishpt Portuguesear Arabicht Haitian Creolezh-TW Chinese (Traditional)


Your Local Online News Source for Over 3 Decades

Chelsea Man Charged With Fatal Everett Shooting

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Michael Stanton, 19, of Chelsea, has been charged in connection with the October 22 murder of Craig McDonald, 20, of Randolph. Everett Police responded to the intersection of Revere and Second Streets at 7:57 p.m. after receiving a report of shots fired. According to the preliminary investigation, McDonald was shot while sitting in a car with two friends after attending the Everett High School Homecoming football game. Stanton allegedly fired his weapon through the driver’s side window, hitting McDonald.

When police arrived on the scene, McDonald’s friends had already rushed him to the Everett campus of Cambridge Health Alliance. After arriving at the hospital, McDonald went into cardiac arrest twice and passed away a short time later.

Police identified Stanton as the alleged shooter after reviewing surveillance video, telephone records and statements from eyewitnesses. He was taken into custody without incident on October 26 and was arraigned in Malden District Court the following day. Stanton is being held without bail and is scheduled to be back in court on November 10.

If convicted, Stanton could be sentenced to life in prison.

In addition, Luiz Perlera, 18, of Lunenburg, was identified as a second suspect. On October 28, he was arrested by State Police and charged with accessory after the fact.

A subsequent investigation suggested that Perlera allegedly destroyed evidence following the shooting. He was arraigned on October 29 and was ordered to be held on $50,000 cash bail, wear a GPS monitoring bracelet, remain under house arrest and have no contact with any witnesses. Perlera is scheduled to be back in court on December 13.

If convicted, Perlera could be sentenced to up to seven years in prison and be fined up to $1,000.

Additional information was not available as the incident remains under investigation.

Contact Advocate Newspapers