en English
en Englishes Spanishpt Portuguesear Arabicht Haitian Creolezh-TW Chinese (Traditional)


Your Local Online News Source for Over 3 Decades

Firefighters Struggle to Contain Broadway Blaze

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
The third floor of 749 Broadway was gutted by a three-alarm fire on November 3. (Advocate Photos by Christopher Roberson)

In the predawn hours of November 3, firefighters encountered heavy flames ravaging the mixed-use building at 749 Broadway.

  The fire was reported at approximately 4:30 a.m. by an Everett Police officer who was travelling on Broadway. Firefighters remained on the scene more than six hours later, searching for hot spots.

  “It was a labor-intensive fire,” said Deputy Fire Chief Sean Dattoli.

  To make matters worse, Dattoli said, the solar panel on top of the building gave way and crashed into the third floor. “It restricted our access to the roof,” he said. Although the third floor took the brunt of the fire damage, he said, the lower two floors suffered extensive water damage.

  Fortunately, no injuries were reported; however, approximately 24 residents lost their homes in the fire. The building, which is also home to Oliveira’s Steak Bar & Grill, is most likely a total loss, according to fire officials.

  Firefighters from surrounding communities, including Revere, Malden, Medford and Chelsea, were called in to assist.

  Although the blaze remains under investigation, surveillance video showed fire climbing up the side of the buildingfrom a dumpster.

  The fire also caused plenty of traffic snarls as Broadway was blocked off from Ferry Street to Gledhill Avenue. Ferry Street was also blocked off between Broadway and Sycamore Street.

The fire forced the evacuation of approximately 40 residents.
Everett firefighters inspected the charred remains of the building at 749 Broadway.
Fire crews pour water on to the three-alarm fire at 749 Broadway. (Advocate Photo by Mike Layhe)

Contact Advocate Newspapers