Development will be 100 percent affordable housing
The Planning Board, during its May 2 meeting, voted to approve the construction of 125 affordable housing units at 25 Garvey St. Located in the Commercial Triangle, the plan for the 1.25-acre parcel is to demolish the existing industrial buildings and construct a six-story building as well as a podium parking area. The project was also redesigned to comply with the city’s design regulations.
According to project applicant, Impact Development Partners, this will be the first affordable family project in Everett since 1975.
Mayor Carlo DeMaria submitted a letter of support. “Not only does this project propose to remediate a 1.25-acre site that is both aesthetically unappealing and environmentally detrimental, it also seeks to advance one of my Administration’s most important initiatives – providing affordable housing for Everett residents,” he said.
Based on last year’s figures from the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, DeMaria said, a one-bedroom unit would be $755 per month, a two-bedroom unit would be $906 per month and a three-bedroom unit would be $1,046 per month.
“Making Everett an affordable place to live for its longstanding residents is of the utmost importance to me,” he said. “The 25 Garvey St. project does an excellent job in addressing the need for affordable housing in the City of Everett.”
Impact Development Partners will now seek authorization from the state Department of Housing and Community Development to allow 70 percent of the units to be occupied by current Everett residents.
1911-1919 Revere Beach Pkwy.
In other news, M&M Realtors, the applicant for 1911-1919 Revere Beach Pkwy., reduced the size of the residential project from six stories with 153 units to five stories with 141 units. Although the board was pleased with reduced size, a draft decision with conditions is still needed. Therefore, a vote was not taken and the project will be continued at the June 6 meeting. It is expected that the board will cast its final vote at that time.
East of Broadway
The current application for East of Broadway was withdrawn without prejudice. The decision, which was made by applicant Wynn Development, was in response to a ruling from the Massachusetts Gaming Commission that stated that an entertainment venue with 1,000 to 3,500 seats was no longer permissible. Although a “substantial change” will be needed, the details of the redesign have not been finalized.