en English
en Englishes Spanishpt Portuguesear Arabicht Haitian Creolezh-TW Chinese (Traditional)


Your Local Online News Source for Over 3 Decades

Schiavo Club donates mountain of toys

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

  In keeping with its ongoing commitment to the city, the Schiavo Club recently donated hundreds of toys to help ensure that every child in Everett receives a gift this holiday season.

  “This is one of the only places left that still does stuff like this,” said President Joseph Rescigno. “It’s great for the community.”

  Rescigno said the club raised a record $5,000 this year. In addition, the club donated $1,000 to the city’s Veterans Department.

  “This was the most this year,” he said of the $5,000 figure, adding that many contributions were made in memory of the club’s secretary Richard Auger, who passed away in October. “This was extra special this year, because Richie died,” said Rescigno. “He was passionate about this toy drive.”

  From December 4-15, Schiavo Club Member Paul Reggio, Sr. was tasked with using the $5,000 to purchase a variety of toys ranging from remote control race cars to games and stuffed animals.

  Rescigno said 75 percent of the donation was sent to City Hall while the remaining 25 percent went to the Immaculate Conception Church.

  Rescigno also wished to thank the Auger Family and the Everett Firefighters Union, which donated $1,000. He also recognized the unconditional allegiance of the 150 members of the Schiavo Club. “Most importantly, I want to thank all the members for what they do,” he said.

U.S. Army Veteran Stanley Ruggiero (third from left) presented a $1,000 check to Everett Veterans Commissioner Jeanne Cristiano as part of the Schiavo Club’s holiday donation on December 15. They are shown with Club President Joseph Rescigno, Veterans Agent Gerri Miranda, City Council President Wayne Matewsky and Ward 6 Councillor-Elect Alfred Lattanzi. (Advocate photos by Christopher Roberson)
This is a city truck loaded with hundreds of toys donated by the Schiavo Club.

Contact Advocate Newspapers