Lots of forward thinking projects are moving forward in Malden. Have you looked at https://www.cityofmalden.org/949/Green-Malden? This is a dynamic site for Malden residents to learn of programs to reduce our use of resources. Please share with your neighbors and friends.
Our Meeting Agenda will focus on a couple of these grant-funded efforts for community outreach. The Friends of the Malden River (FoMR) is a team member of the coalition of community based organizations that will assist Wicked Cool Mystic and Malden’s Climate Action Plan (CAP). Wicked Cool Mystic: Marissa Zampino of the Mystic River Watershed Association (MyRWA) will be joining us to give us the overall mission, timeline and plan. Climate Action Plan: Sheila Rachels, FoMR’s representative on the CAP Advisory Committee, will speak of the project. Please read and send comments to FriendsoftheMaldenRiver@gmail.com
List of events for the spring, summer and fall:
- First two weekends of April (TBD): Tufts University Athletic Teams and FoMR will do major cleanups at River’s Edge – Little Creek to Route 16 on both shores.
- April 22 Weekend: City of Malden’s Earth Day: Environmental Fair and Cleanups (in planning stages)
- Bentley University cleanup – date to be determined
- Idle Hands Craft Ales with FoMR and Run Club of Malden (with cheers afterwards)
- Sunday May 14 – Mother’s Earth Day Cleanup
- Saturday, July 29
- Saturday, September 9 – Oktoberfest!
- Saturday, October 21
In planning stages: weekend afternoon in June: Explore the Malden River with the Chinese Cultural Connection: Environmental Education for all ages sponsored by Malden River Works, FoMR and MyRWA.
Planning: FoMR celebration!! 10+ years – who’s counting?
And always: Other discussions to be noted
As we all know, this adage is so true: Many Hands Make Light Work (and creates light within our community). We will be posting these events and looking for Friends to join us with small tasks to create successful events.
Zoom Meeting on February 20: Longtime MyRWA volunteer/current Acting FoMR President Karen Buck is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting:
Topic: Friends of the Malden River Monthly Monday meeting.
Time: February 20, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. Eastern Time (US and Canada).
Every month on the second Monday until December 11, 2023; 11 occurrence(s).
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 823 1404 6816
One tap mobile
Meeting ID: 823 1404 6816
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/k3sSXRVwG
- Support the Massachusetts Waterways with a Mass Environmental Trust license plate: Purchase an Environmental Trust Plate.
Mission of the Friends of the Malden River: FoMR seeks to promote awareness of and interest in the Malden River, improve its water quality and increase access for public enjoyment. Check out their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/FriendsoftheMaldenRiver) and website (https://maldenriver.wordpress.com/) for more information!