The following statement from Keep Malden Moving appears on the website Change.org, regarding their call to remove bus and bicycle lanes from Rt. 60/Centre Street. As of Thursday morning, there were 268 residents who had signed the petition.
To: The City of Malden
We, the concerned residents and commuters of Malden, urge you to take immediate action to remove all bus and bike lanes from Route 60. Additionally, we request that any funds allocated for these lanes be returned to their original source. Furthermore, we demand that the city prohibits any future approval of bus or bike lanes that would result in the elimination of motor vehicle traffic lanes or hinder parking availability.
- Traffic Congestion: The implementation of bus and bike lanes on Route 60 has significantly contributed to increased traffic congestion in Malden. This has resulted in longer commute times for residents and commuters passing through our city. Due to overwhelming amounts of traffic, drivers are being pushed to secondary roads that are unable to handle the unprecedented amount of traffic. By removing these unnecessary lanes, we can alleviate congestion and improve overall traffic flow.
- Inadequate Usage: Despite claims suggesting otherwise, data shows that these bus and bike lanes are underutilized by both cyclists and public transit riders. Current ridership is so low in Malden that the MBTA has eliminated 4 bus routes, with more on the way. The majority of commuters still rely on motor vehicles as their primary mode of transportation along this route.
- Financial Burden: The allocation of funds towards implementing and maintaining these underutilized bus and bike lanes is an unnecessary financial burden on taxpayers’ wallets when there are more pressing infrastructure needs within our city. By eliminating travel lanes, local restaurants that offer delivery service have seen a drop in food orders, resulting in a decline in revenue. This is hurting our local small businesses.
We believe it is crucial for the City Council to prioritize the needs of all residents when making decisions regarding transportation infrastructure projects within Malden. Therefore, we respectfully request that you take immediate action:
– Remove all existing bus and bike lanes from Route 60.
– Return any funds allocated towards these lanes to their original source.
– Prohibit any future approval of bus or bike lanes that would result in the elimination of motor vehicle traffic lanes or hinder parking availability.
By doing so, you will alleviate traffic congestion, improve safety conditions, and ensure that the needs of all commuters are considered when planning transportation projects in our city.
We trust that you will carefully consider this petition and take appropriate action to address our concerns. Together, we can create a more efficient and inclusive transportation system for Malden.