The City of Malden is pleased to announce that it is accepting applications for a Poet Laureate of Malden. The application deadline is Friday, May 26 at 5 p.m. The Malden Poet Laureate will serve a two-year term from July 2023 to June 2025 and will receive a $2,500 stipend each year.
The poet selected as Malden’s Poet Laureate will serve as an advocate for poetry and the literary arts and will advance Malden residents’ consciousness and appreciation of poetry in the written and spoken forms. The intent is that the Poet Laureate will:
- find ways to bring poetry to community members who might be unfamiliar with poetry
- foster a creative environment that encourages collaboration, innovation and community participation
- give five to 10 public readings/workshops that will be free and open to the public
- read poems at ceremonial events
- must be 18 years of age
- must reside in Malden during the time of the application and for the duration of the appointment
- must demonstrate a track record of experience publishing and/or presenting original poetry within poetry journals, books, magazines, websites and/or programs
- must present strong evidence of positive contributions to the Malden community
Applicants of all backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply.
Selection Criteria + Evaluation Process: The selection committee will review applications and select a finalist for the Poet Laureate position. This committee will be comprised of a designee from the Mayor’s Office, Ward 3 Councillor Amanda Linehan and Malden Arts President Candace Julyan. The selection committee will be looking at the following criteria:
- quality of published work
- professional achievement in poetry
- comfort with performance of poetry in public
- interest in building community through poetry and serving as an advocate for poetry
- past work or volunteerism within the Malden community.
Application for Poet Laureate: Interested applicants should provide the following information (acceptable upload formats: Word or .pdf):
- a letter of intent describing why you are interested in this position and how you envision fulfilling the duties
- a resume / CV listing all published works and related experience
- evidence of contributions to the City of Malden which can include letters of recommendation
- examples of original poetry
Applications should be emailed to Kathleen Manning Hall at email@example.com.