en English
en Englishes Spanishpt Portuguesear Arabicht Haitian Creolezh-TW Chinese (Traditional)


Your Local Online News Source for Over 3 Decades

Everett tops Malden, claims Greater Boston League Championship Crimson Tide is GBL Football Champ for first time since 2016 with 43-0 win over Malden Everett on road tonight at Methuen in first-round MIAA State Playoff Game

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Golden Tornados quarterback Shawn Bartholomew (3) goes to the air with a nifty pass behind some nifty blocking.

 They made it clear early that this was going to be a Crimson Tide night – very early.

  On the first play of Thursday night’s Everett-Malden game, Tide star running back J.C. Clerveaux busted free for a 73-yard touchdown run and a 6-0 Everett lead with just 12 seconds played.

   Cam Mohammed scored the two-point conversion points and Everett ended up having all the scoring it would need to register its seventh straight victory (7-0, 6-0 GBL) and take care of some other important team business.
Everett would dominate the remainder of the game, blank Malden, 43-0, and claim its first Greater Boston League Football Championship since 2016.

  It was an extra special night for second-year Everett head coach Rob DiLoreto, who has now presided over his very first GBL title season as the football boss.

    The win over Malden completed a perfect, 6-0 unbeaten run through the GBL for the Tide, which took a 72-51 lead in the longtime series, which skipped a year last year due to the coronavirus pandemic. The two teams also did not play this past spring in the Fall 2 season.

    Malden fell to 1-6 overall, 1-4 GBL with the loss. The Tornado squad hosted non-leaguer Waltham last night in a postseason consolation game,

    Coach DiLoreto’s squad now turns its attention to the new, statewide football playoffs, seeking a return to Division 1 Super Bowl for the first time since 2017.

     Everett is on the road tonight at 7:00 p.m. to take on Methuen High Rangers.

    In Thursday’s game, Everett turned up the heat early, scoring three times in the first quarter for a 22-0 lead. A long punt return of 42 yards by Mohammed set up Everett’s second TD, a 23-yard run by Rich Malloy  on the next drive. Adoni Santos’ PAT kick made it 15-0.

     After Everett intercepted a Malden pass on the next Golden Tornado possession and rerturned it to the Malden 18, Everett went in for its third TD of the quarter on the very next play, an 18-yard pass from quarterback Kamari Ellerbe to Moses Seide. Santos’ kick made it 22-0.

    Everett’s defense kept Malden under wraps all night, limiting the Tornado offense to under 40 yards rushing and under 50 yards passing as Malden completed just 3-of-19 passes for the evening with two interceptions.

   The Tide added to its lead in the second quarter when Brian Gibbs capped a long Everett drive with a 4-yard TD run. Santos’ kick made it 29-0, Everett at the halftime break. Everett kept control of the ball for the rest of the half and attempted a 32-yard field goal by Santos that went wide right.

     Everett scored again on its first possession of the third quarter. Mohammed broke free for an 89-yard kickoff return touchdown that was called back due to a holding penalty. Four plays later Malloy went in for his second TD of the night, a 2-yard plunge. The PAT kick was no good and Everett led, 35-0.

    The Everett defense completed its shutout and the Tide scored on more time when reserve running back Domenic Papa broke free for a 58-yard TD run with 5:40 left to play and a Santos kick made it, 43-0.


cheer squad
The talented Malden High football cheerleaders at the Malden-Everett game last Thursday at MacDonald Stadium. (Advocate Photos by Paul Hammersley)

Contact Advocate Newspapers