As the temperature rises, air-conditioning becomes a priority for both you and your pets to stay cool and comfortable. The Sponsors of Mass Save are here to help you avoid energy waste and save some money while you try to beat the heat.
By using an ENERGY STAR® certified room air conditioner, you can use 10% less energy than a non-certified model. The design reduces air leaks, helping to prevent additional energy waste and can save you in energy costs over the unit’s lifetime.
In addition to saving on energy costs, did you know you can also receive a $40 rebate when you have an ENERGY STAR® certified model in your home? Follow the three simple steps below to apply for your rebate.
Step 1: Check your eligibility at https://e-rebates.org/masssave_rac
- This offer is only open to Massachusetts residential electric customers of Cape Light Compact JPE, Eversource, National Grid or Unitil.
- Limit two room air conditioner rebates per account per calendar year.
- The rebate is good for purchases made from January 1, 2023, through December 31, 2023.
- Applications for 2023 rebates and all necessary materials must be postmarked or submitted online by January 31, 2024.
Step 2: Purchase an ENERGY STAR certified room air conditioner. Some examples can be found at https://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-room-air-conditioners/results
There are several models to choose from, and you’ll want to ensure your purchase best suits the needs of your home. To look for a model that is appropriately sized for your room and has a high energy efficiency ratio, follow these steps:
- Measure the room’s square footage.
- Match the room size to the optimal cooling capacity, measured in British thermal units (BTUs)/hour.
- Adjust the optimal cooling capacity depending on sun exposure, occupancy rate and the room’s typical use, since these factors can affect the room’s temperature. Check out this website for additional tips on measuring in BTUs per hour and how to make these adjustments: https://www.masssave.com/en/residential/shop-products/appliances/room-air-conditioners
Once you submit your rebate application, you can easily check your rebate status at https://rebatestatus.portal.poweredbyefi.org/marebates.