Five Saugus Police Officers are ready to run for charity
Members of the Saugus Police Department will be doing a lot of running around on Patriots Day, April 17 – 131 miles worth collectively. Five police officers have been training for months to run the 26.2 mile course from Hopkinton to Boston in the 127th Boston Marathon. They are among 22 Saugus residents registered to run in the legendary race that will draw a field of 30,000 runners from all over the world.
“This is definitely the most participation that we have ever had in the Boston Marathon,” Saugus Police Chief Michael Ricciardelli told The Saugus Advocate this week.
“I am very proud of the hard work and dedication that the five officers have put in. I am also very proud of how the rest of the Saugus Police Department has supported them in raising money for the various charity groups,” the chief said.
“The members of the Saugus Fire Department have been very generous and supportive too. Together, the five officers will raise over $50,000,” he said.
Here are the officers who are registered to compete in this year’s Boston Marathon, and the cause they will be running for:
- Officer Alison Cooper is running for the Herren Project, which focuses on helping individuals and families who have been affected by substance abuse with treatment and recovery. The Donation link is https://www.givengain.com/ap/alison-cooper-raising-funds-for-261-fearless/
- Lieutenant Anthony LoPresti is running for Tedy Bruschi’s charity team, “Tedy’s Team,” – its mission is to improve the quality of life for stroke survivors and to also help with their recovery. They also advance communities’ knowledge of the warning signs of stroke as well as heart disease. To donate to Lt. LoPresti’s charity, please see https://www.givengain.com/ap/anthony-lopresti-raising-funds-for-tedys-team/
- Detective Stacey Forni is running for the Venessa T. Marcotte Foundation; its mission to advocate for a world where women are safe and free to live boldly and fearlessly. The donation link is https://www.givengain.com/ap/stacey-forni-raising-funds-for-the-vanessa-t-marcotte-foundation/
- Officer Brett DiPanfilo is running for TB12 Foundation. Their mission is to help educate and inspire athletes to excel in both sports and life by providing access to innovative health and wellness resources that support preparation, performance and recovery. They provide tools and resources to those who are most “at-risk,” whether it be for the underprivileged, military, first responders or others who have been through trauma, physically and mentally. To donate, please see https://www.givengain.com/ap/brett-dipanfilo-raising-funds-for-tb12-foundation/
- Sergeant Stephen Rappa is running for the Officer Sean A. Collier Memorial Fund; the mission of the Officer Sean A. Collier Memorial Fund is to foster connections between law enforcement and the communities they serve. To donate, please see https://www.givengain.com/ap/stephen-rappa-raising-funds-for-officer-sean-a-collier-memorial-fund-inc/
(Editor’s Note: The Saugus Advocate will publish articles on the marathon runners from the Saugus Police Department, leading up to Patriots’ Day weekend. Other Saugus runners who would like to share their story about their motivation for running in marathon and information about the charity they plan to run for can email Saugus Advocate Editor Mark E. Vogler at firstname.lastname@example.org.)