Saugus High School National Honor Society members participated in Project Bread’s 55th Annual Walk for Hunger
(Editor’s Note: Project Bread recently issued the following press release.)
On May 7, the Saugus High School National Honor Society was among more than 4,000 participants to lace up for Project Bread’s 55th annual Walk for Hunger, held for the first time in person since 2019. The team walked to fundraise for Healthy Students-Healthy Saugus to fight hunger locally. They participated in The Commonwealth program, which gives organizations addressing food insecurity 60% of all funds they have raised to support their own hunger relief programs, with the remaining 40% applied to Project Bread’s statewide anti-hunger effort. The event hasn’t hit the $1 million goal yet; however, fundraising will continue through the summer for most participants.
True to its grassroots beginnings, the nation’s oldest community pledge walk unites community partners, business leaders, walkers, volunteers, public officials, media, and residents of all backgrounds together for a cause. Money raised through the annual event is funding Project Bread’s urgent mission to ensure kids have reliable access to food, to directly help individuals and families, and to advocate at the state and federal levels for expedited and efficient relief for those in need. Walk funds are also supporting community organizations that are helping people access food locally and ensuring communities have the resources necessary to respond to the hunger crisis now and over the long road to recovery ahead.
“1 in 5 families with children is struggling without enough to eat,” says Erin McAleer, Project Bread CEO. “The Walk for Hunger and the money it raises are vital as resources available during the pandemic continue to be peeled back. This includes free school meals, expanded SNAP benefit amounts, an increased number of Summer Eats meal sites and more. Donating to the Walk, and raising money, is something tangible all of us can do to make sure our neighbors in need can get the food to meet their most basic of needs.”
This year, 34 nonprofits participated in The Commonwealth, raising more than $116,400 and counting. The Saugus High School National Honor Society team was out in full force.
The Saugus High School National Honor Society participated in Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger to fundraise for Healthy Students-Healthy Saugus, a nonprofit that provides a weekend supply of nutritious food for each eligible child when school lunches and breakfasts are unavailable on weekends or school holidays. The Saugus High School National Honor Society first hit the pavement for Project Bread’s annual event as part of The Commonwealth program last year, with 40% of funds raised going to Project Bread and 60% of the funds coming back to the community in Saugus. As a community service-based organization, the honor society is committed to helping the Saugus community and beyond by volunteering with Healthy Students-Healthy Saugus. Funds raised through Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger will go toward food for the take-home grocery bags distributed in the Saugus school district free of charge to those in need. To date, the team has raised $1,564 toward its $2,500 goal.
“Being a part of something bigger that stretches further beyond our community helps to make a bigger impact,” says Maia Castle, president of the Saugus High School National Honor Society. “Project Bread’s mission of providing reliable food sources in Massachusetts compliments our mission right here in Saugus. Together, we are helping make a difference in the lives of many people who are struggling to get access to nutritious food.”
Historically, Project Bread has hosted a 20-mile Walk for Hunger, passing through 5 towns. This year’s event followed a new 3-mile route around Boston Common. There was something for everyone as participants engaged in family-friendly activities, live music, giveaways and raffle prizes, lawn games, and a Kid’s Zone complete with balloon animals and face painting. Project Bread’s Chef Educator Sherry Hughes showed participants how to make Adobo Chicken with Corn and Cucumber Salad, a recipe developed by Project Bread Chefs to ensure school meals are healthy and delicious.
Project Bread’s Walk for Hunger fundraising continues throughout the summer with the goal of reaching the $1 million target. Visit www.projectbread.org/walk to donate or start a personal fundraiser.
People experiencing food insecurity should call Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline (1-800-645-8333), to connect with local food resources. Support is confidential, free, and available in any language and for the hearing impaired. Learn more at www.projectbread.org/get-help.